Hot Wax Hair Removal: All You Need to Know
If you’ve thought about trying hot waxing but haven’t decided, here, you’ll find all the information you need to solve your doubts.
Hot waxing is, without a doubt, one of the most widely used methods of hair removal. Not because it is the best but because it is the most traditional and the result is practically perfect. It is usually done in a beauty salon, although there are also brands that sell warm wax appliances for use at home. We tell you everything you need to know about it.
What is hot wax?
Hot wax is a melted resin that imprisons hair, whether short, fine, long or abundant, and pulls it out of the root. The hot wax is presented in small balls of resin that have to be melted. It is applied to the skin with the help of a wooden spatula or with a roll-on that pours a dose of wax. Once it is dry, it is pulled off with a strong pull. Hot wax is the most effective because heat opens the pores of the skin and hair comes out more easily.
Although since the appearance of laser hair removal no longer enjoys the same popularity, waxing remains a popular option for people who can not expose their skin to the laser, such as those men and women with tattoos on legs and thighs.
Warm waxing at home step by step
Whether in the legs, groin or armpits, to make waxing more effective, it is highly recommended to follow certain steps. When you are used to it you will do it directly, and you will dominate the technique to perfection, but it is not bad to remember them if you have never depilated with wax in house. Consult this small guide whenever you need it.
- One or two days before depilation with wax, exfoliate your skin: with this, you will be able to remove the hair from the follicle and avoid the formation of cystic hairs and granites. However, it is vital that you do not do this on the day of depilation, as the skin could be very sensitive and be damaged by the wax.
- Apply a non-greasy water-based moisturizer a few hours before depilation: this way the hair will come out more easily. Avoid greasy creams because they can make waxing difficult.
- Do not sunbathe two days before depilation: the sun makes the skin much more sensitive and irritated, so hot wax can damage it.
- Look for an old towel or cloth that you no longer use to place it where you are going to wax. This will prevent possible wax stains that may occur during depilation.
- Heat the wax in an old casserole or in a specific wax appliance equipped with a thermostat to keep it at a suitable temperature.
Check the temperature of the wax on the back of the hand before applying it to the rest of the skin.
- To depilate your legs, apply the wax with a strip-shaped spatula (about 5 cm long and 1 cm thick). Start at the knee and descend towards the ankle in a single gesture.
- Squeeze lightly with the spatula and wait until the wax does not stick before pulling the band off with a dry pull.
- Allow the skin to cool before applying wax to review the area and get a perfect result.
- Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the leg.
Tips for taking care of your skin after waxing:
To take care of your skin, it is also imperative to follow a few steps when you have finished waxing:
- Moisturize the skin and apply a soothing product, such as aloe vera, so that the area recovers much better after depilation. This step is especially crucial for the skin of delicate parts of the body such as the groin.
- Do not sunbathe in the following hours: again, the sun can irritate the area and impair the recovery of the skin after hair removal.
Tricks to improve depilation with hot wax:
If you remove the wax in the opposite direction to that in which the hair grows (from the ankle to the knee), waxing will be more effective, but the hair growth will be cut. Therefore, it is better to pull the band in the same direction as the hair even though, in order to obtain an optimal result, we have to go over the area several times.
Wait for the hair to measure about 5mm in the legs and 6mm in the groin before proceeding to depilate.
To depilate the bikini, first cut the longest hair with scissors and exfoliate the area several days before depilation.
To wax at home, there are many exclusive products to use at home, so it is not necessary to go to a beauty center if you do not want. There are microwave-heating waxes that come with fabric bands; or electrically heated roll-on appliances that have a thermostat that keeps the wax at a constant temperature – just choose the one you like!
If the depilation is carried out in a beauty centre, check that the wax is for single use, to avoid any type of skin infection.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Waxing
It is very likely that you have considered several methods of hair removal before getting here, so we want to end with a review of the advantages and disadvantages of hot waxing. This way you will be able to evaluate more objectively if this technique is suitable for you or not.
Advantages of waxing:
- It takes about four weeks for the hair to come out, so it’s fairly long-lasting hair removal.
- The hair grows finer, so the next few times it will be much easier to pull it out.
- The duration of depilation increases after several depilations.
- The skin is much softer than with other hair removal methods such as the razor or depilatory creams.
Disadvantages of waxing:
- It is a painful depilation, although it is true that this sensation decreases with the passage of depilation because the hair is less and less strong.
- It is necessary to wait until the hair grows 5mm for waxing to be effective.
What do you think? If you are not convinced by this method, do not worry, you know that there are many options: blade, cold wax, gels or depilatory creams, laser. Surely one of them is the most suitable for you.
If, on the other hand, you think that this is the perfect hair removal technique for you, we recommend that you take into account all the steps we have mentioned. If you follow these tips and are constant, you will surely achieve perfect waxing and, as a result, dazzling skin.